INDUSTRY JOB POSTINGS:
JOB TITLE: Fire Mechanic Senior
AGENCY: City of Fairfield
LOCATION: Fairfield, CA
FILING DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
SALARY RANGE: $85,477.60 – $103,898.08 Annually
The City of Fairfield Fleet Division is recruiting for the vital position of Fire Mechanic Senior!
As a member of the Public Works Department, you will be responsible for maintaining a diverse Fire Department fleet operating 24/7 while keeping established minimum equipment available for use as needed. You will be responsible for performing complex and difficult diagnosis and mechanical repair of City fire apparatus and equipment.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Wants to be part of a nationally recognized professional organization (100 Best Fleets in North America for the last 10 years!).
- Is knowledgeable of the equipment, parts, tools, materials, diagnostics, repair techniques, and supplies used by the City in public safety equipment repair.
- Is a self-motivated team player with great customer service and organizational skills.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Four (4) years of journey-level experience servicing, maintaining and repairing a variety of automotive and heavy motorized vehicles including fire apparatus and related equipment is required.
- Experience using any ASSETWORKS Fleet Management platform is desirable.
REQUIRED LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
- Possession of valid Class C California State Driver’s License is required at the time of hire. Possession of a valid equivalent is acceptable during the application process.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Class A California driver’s license with manual transmission, air brakes and tanker endorsements within six (6) months is required.
- Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) Fire Apparatus Technician Level II certification is required.
- ASE Master Truck Certification is required.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspect, diagnose, modify, overhaul and repair mechanical defects on gas and diesel powered light and heavy duty fire vehicles, equipment and apparatus.
- Perform mechanical work such as troubleshooting, motor tune-ups, and major and minor repairing of motors, electrical systems, air/heating systems, communications systems, and associated parts.
- Diagnose, repair and overhaul manual and automatic transmissions.
- Diagnose and repair air, vacuum, mechanical and hydraulic brakes, hydraulic systems, clutch systems and related components.
- Overhaul, repair, and rebuild special equipment on fire trucks such as pistons, pumps, pressure gauges, cooling systems and pump primers.
- Perform a variety of design and fabricating duties; utilize a variety of mechanical, welding and machinists’ tools to fabricate, rebuild, strengthen and maintain various parts and components; fabricate parts and apparatus for special use.
- Perform minor interior and exterior automotive body repairs, including doors, fenders, bumpers, body panels, power and manual windows and seat removal and installations.
- Make road calls and emergency repairs in the field in response to vehicle and equipment problems.
- Road test vehicles and equipment to ensure work is properly completed.
An excellent benefits package is offered, including:
- CalPERS pension eligibility
- Generous contributions towards medical, dental, and vision plans
- In addition to vacation and sick leave, 50 hours of personal leave annually, which is 100% cashable
- City paid life insurance, deferred compensation and retirement health savings contributions
- A 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off
To access the complete job description, click here.
This recruitment is open until filled and may close without notice once a sufficient number of qualified applications are received.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To apply, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfield/jobs/3657969/fire-mechanic-senior.
Salary and Benefits
Base salary range $80,132—$107,120 annually
The Department offers a competitive total compensation package that includes the following:
• 2.5% @ 55 retirement for Classic PERS members, 2.% @ 62 retirement for New PERS
• Department contributes to a Retirement Health Savings Account, starting at 2% of pay increasing to 5%, to use for med-ical expenses after retirement
• Choice of medical plans offered through PERS. Department pays 100% of Blue Shield plan for employee and depend-ents.
• Employer paid dental, vision, and life insurance plans
• Flexible spending program, Long Term Disability, EAP plan, and Deferred Compensation plan are available
• Paid vacation, holiday and sick leaves
• Uniform provided
If interested, please apply at www.CalOpps.org. Position is open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply quickly, as interviews will be scheduled as soon as qualified applications are received.
Please see this document for all of the details – Emergency Vehicle Technician flyer 08 2021
- Possess a High School Diploma or general Education Degree (GED)
- Possess 1 year or more of Heavy-Duty Mechanic experience with truck maintenance and repair
- Possess a CA Fire Mechanic Level 1 Certification OR an EVT 1 Certification
- Knowledge of and ability to complete a NFPA 1911 Fire Apparatus Inspection
- Knowledge of and ability to perform a DOT Air Brake System COLA Test
- Knowledge of and ability to perform a DOT Commercial Safety Inspection
- Knowledge of and ability to Perform a Pump System Dry Vacuum Test
- Possess a working knowledge of Pump Theory
- Possess a working knowledge of Basic Foam Systems
- Possess a particular attention to detail and cleanliness
- Intelligently and effectively communicate, written and verbally, with customers and all RVI personnel.
- Provide mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic services to vehicles and equipment, specifically with respect to Fire Apparatus.
- Perform a general safety inspection, examining vehicle and apparatus protective guards, loose hardware, and generally identify and escalate any safety deficiencies.
- Attend all relevant training classes and keep abreast of all factory, technical, and industry wide developments.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with our customers, increasing both satisfaction and confidence in Riverview International Trucks Fire Shop.
- Observe all safety and security protocols, operates equipment and handles materials in a safe manner, and report any unsafe conditions.
- Obtain and Maintain a CA Commercial Drivers License Class B.
- Service all Fire Department vehicles and related components on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Inspect equipment and vehicles for common maintenance problems.
- Diagnose and repair air brake systems, engines, transmissions, steering, suspension & drivetrain components typically found on Class 7 & 8 heavy-duty diesel-powered trucks to ensure they will perform under emergency conditions.
- Perform pneumatic and hydraulic equipment repairs as necessary.
- Replace fire apparatus components including but not limited to, fire pumps, foam systems and other specialty firefighting components.
- Make improvements or modifications to new or existing fire apparatus in accordance with departmental needs and specifications. Modify, design, and fabricate special purpose equipment.
- Maintain and repair power tools and appliances carried on fire apparatus.
- Perform fire truck dealer warranty repairs as needed.
- 8+ years of experience as a Certified Heavy-Duty Diesel Technician
- Ability to work alone to diagnose electronically controlled engines, transmissions & other electronic components
- Ability to diagnose electrical starting & charging systems
- Ability to be a self-starter
- Excellent general automotive trouble shooting skills
- Commitment to quality
- Team player
- Good communicator
- Valid/Clean driver’s license (Class “A” or “B”) or ability to get one in 12 months
- Live in, or move to San Diego County
- Good documentation and computer skills
- Great pay – $30 to $40 per hour, DOE
- Fully paid health insurance for employee
- Fully paid dental insurance for employee
- 401(k) – 6% match
- 401(k) – 4% profit sharing
- Paid vacations
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick pay
- Paid training
- Fuel allowance
- Uniforms provided