Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- $106,800.00 – $123,636.00 Annually
- Location Oakland, CA
- Job Type – Full-time
- Job Number 23-134
- Department – Maintenance & Construction Dep
- The Position
- Heavy Equipment Mechanics maintain, repair, devise modifications for and overhaul a variety of large trucks, heavy construction, and related equipment (John Deere, Detroit/Mercedes, Caterpillar, Ford, Freightliner, GMC, etc.).
As a condition of employment, new hires must, within six months, obtain an unrestricted Class A California driver’s license with endorsements for air brakes, hazardous material and tanker and have a satisfactory driving record.
Typical duties include:
• Repairing, modifying, and overhauling reduction gears, hydraulic systems, braking systems, steering systems, cooling systems, electrical systems, air conditioning systems and similar units.
• Reading and interpreting mechanical drawings, specifications, and shop manuals.
• Performing preventive maintenance and inspections on heavy trucks and heavy construction equipment; making emergency repairs in the field; recommending shutdown of equipment that appears unsafe.
• Conferring with equipment operators to determine operational problems; recommending operational methods to minimize breakdowns and repairs.
• Entering data into the computerized equipment maintenance system and making verbal and written reports of work performed, completing onscreen forms, making rough hand sketches and layouts and otherwise keeping accurate maintenance records.
• Diagnosing and repairing hydraulic system components including cylinders, control, check and diverter valves; developing and building such systems as required for improved operation.
• Road testing heavy trucks and operating a variety of heavy construction equipment incidentally in the performance of mechanical repairs.
• Performing test operation, making final adjustments and lubricating repaired equipment.
• District provided basic hand tools / toolbox
• Optional 9 / 80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
• Annual work boot allowance
• Opportunities to work throughout EBMUD service areas
• Day Shift only
• OT availability
The ideal candidate:
• Is experienced in modern heavy truck and construction equipment repair
• Is self-motivated to take initiative in projects
• Has an excellent safety record
• Works well with others
The salary range is $8,900 per month increasing to $9,345, $9,812, $10,303 after 12, 24, and 36 months, respectively.
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals age forty or older, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical condition), pregnancy disability leave status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and other categories protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
- 1. A high school diploma or its equivalent; AND either
2. a. Eighteen months experience comparable to EBMUD’s Heavy Equipment Maintenance Worker III classification, including satisfactory completion of the appropriate courses and advance on the job training as specified in EBMUD’s Trades Training Program, OR
b. Attainment of recognized journey level status in heavy truck or construction equipment repair.
3. Must possess or obtain within six months of appointment, a valid, unrestricted Class A California driver’s license with endorsement for air brakes, hazardous material and tanker, and have a satisfactory driving record.
4. Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the class, including sufficient physical agility to work in tight or confined conditions and sufficient strength to lift replacement parts weighing up to 80 pounds. Must be willing to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and work overtime as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources, Employee Services Division, at (510) 287-0764 for additional questions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at http://www.ebmud.com/jobs/job-resources/job-faqs-frequently-asked-questions/.
- The Selection Process
- 1. Submit a completed EBMUD application online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m. Friday, December 1, 2023. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated. A limited number of candidates presenting the qualifications most relevant to this position will be invited to a written test tentatively scheduled for Saturday, January 13th, 2024. Meeting minimum qualifications does not guarantee continuing in the selection process.
4. All candidates who pass the written test will be invited to a hands-on performance test tentatively scheduled for late-January 2024.
5. Successful candidates will be placed on a hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
6. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
7. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
- East Bay Municipal Utility District
375 11th Street, MS #603
Oakland, California, 94607